Tips For Electrical Safety In The Kitchen

2 November 2017
 Categories: , Blog

Share  

A typical kitchen has a range of electrical appliances, many of them drawing considerable power. This means every homeowner should be alert to the dangers their kitchen's electrical appliances and wiring pose. Here are some of the tips for dealing with these dangers:

You Don't Overload the Circuits

Most electrical appliances in the kitchen draw a lot of electricity, which means they can overload a circuit if they are connected to other appliances to the same circuit. In the short-term, this will cause the affected circuit breakers to trip all the time. In the long run, an overload can cause appliance damage or injury. Therefore, heavy-duty appliances, such as ovens and freezers, should be plugged in their own dedicated circuits.

Keep Water Away From Electricity

Apart from the bathroom, the kitchen is another room that witnesses considerable water use. Unfortunately, water and electricity don't play well. Spilling water on electrical appliances or wiring can cause short-circuit, which can damage your appliances or cause a fire outbreak. Therefore, ensure the installation is professionally done to reduce the risk of water damage. You should also refrain from placing water near electrical outlets where a spill can cause maximum damage.

Leave Some Distance between Cables and Heat

The problem with placing electrical cables near heat sources is that the heat will melt away the electrical insulation. If that happens, you risk experiencing an electrical shock or damaging the appliances on the affected circuits. For example, placing an electrical cable on top of a cooking range can easily damage the cable.

Unplug Appliances Not in Use

Always confirm that you have switched off each electrical appliance when you are done using them. If you forget to switch them off and leave the kitchen or house and leave the appliances running, they can easily overheat and cause an electrical fire. In fact, you should go a step further and unplug all appliances that aren't in use.

Be Careful When Putting Out Electrical Fires

Lastly, if an electrical fire does break out in the kitchen, be careful how you put it out. This is because using water to try to put off an electrical is like adding fuel to the fire. Apart from the risk of an electrical shock, the water can create more electrical malfunction or even more fire. Instead, unplug the affected appliance, smother the fire with a blanket or use an extinguisher meant for electrical fires (only do this if it is safe to do so).

Any electrical malfunction in the kitchen should be promptly repaired. That is the only way to prevent electrical injuries and damages in the kitchen. Contact a company like Williams Electric Supply for more information and assistance.